Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
Out of the wife duties, baking and cooking is where I struggle most at. I'm not a natural in the kitchen. All I can remember at the few attempts I've made in the past is burnt fried eggs and under-baked cakes. However, I've always known that I have to feed my family. Since being married, I have been focused on exercising my kitchen muscles. I am not the best (yet) and I easily get frustrated, but I am learning. On this post, I am going to share the recipe that made me realize how easy baking is - mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients and combine them both, and then put in oven. I really don't know why I thought baking was rocket science. I guess, I was not as interested then.
It's easy to prepare pastries for my husband, he does not like a lot of sweets except for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and brownies. So, I'm on a mission to bake the best versions of these goodies. I tried to do a vegan brownie, which he didn't like, but he loves these "healthy" oatmeal chocolate cookies and I've had more success than failure making them. My husband loves them with his coffee and I with my ice cream. So here's the recipe, hope you enjoy making and eating them as much as we do.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 scant kosher salt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients, except chocolate chips.
- In another bowl, melt butter, let it cool. Then, whisk in vanilla, egg and honey.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, until it has come together.
- Add half of chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 mins or freeze for 15 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape dough with your hands and place on prepared baking sheet ~2 inches apart. This makes 12-15 cookies.
- Bake for 12-13 mins. (I add 3 more minutes because my husband likes it crisp and "well done.")
- Place remaining chocolate chips on top of cookies as soon as you remove them from oven.
- Let cool and enjoy!